Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Zap Me Baby One More Time (or Twenty)

Tara and I went to see the radiation oncologist today at the new Andreas Cancer Center in our Mayo clinic here in town. We were both very impressed with his knowledge and the conveyance of the information to us. Tara is especially intrigued by the machine and procedures they use since it is right up her professional alley. The doctor described radiation therapy as the "knockout punch" following the chemotherapy treatment. The chemotherapy will shrink the tumors and both doctors hope that the PET/CT scan will show no masses, however the scan is not capable of showing cells on the individual level that the chemotherapy might leave behind. This is the radiation's job, to destroy any leftover cells after the chemotherapy. The radiation will damage the DNA in the cancer cells as well as the normal cells around the area. The normal cells will be done healing after about 6 hours. However the cancer cells, which are quite good at dividing and growing, are not so quick to repair themselves. So 24 hours later, the normal cells are strong again but the cancer cells get hit again while they are already struggling. They will focus the radiation beams at whatever might be left of the spot in my neck, the mass in my chest, and the spot in my lower left abdomen. The therapy will continue for 15-20 (business) days until the cancer cells are totally eradicated. The short-term side effects include a sore throat, pink skin similar to a sunburn, and fatigue. The lower spot might be close enough to some of my intestines and so radiation might possibly cause a bit of nauseousness. Long term side effects include scarring in my lungs, thyroid issues, possible heart disease, and a risk of secondary cancer. But wait, it is not so drastic as it sounds. Doctors always have to present the risks to cover their, shall we say, backsides. This doctor also indicated that this chemo/radiation treatment is in most cases curative. The scarring in my lungs will not cause any breathing problems. My thyroid issues will just require some periodic (annual probably) blood tests to determine the proper dosage of thyroid hormone medication. I'll visit a cardiologist in about 10 years to check my heart but if I engage in the regular heart-healthy activities such as exercising, eating a healthy diet, and monitoring my blood pressure it shouldn't be too bad. The risk of secondary cancer from radiotherapy is significantly less than the risk of my Hodgkin's disease coming back without the radiotherapy. Pediatric patients are at the highest risk for secondary cancer while old people don't really have to worry. I am obviously in the middle of that curve. With my good health history and no use of tobacco, the doctor seems to think my risks are pretty low.

A few more thoughts about the chemotherapy yesterday. I still feel fine, though I am trying to eat less at a time but more often throughout the day. I am really bummed that my plans to enjoy a full rack of ribs at Token last night were frustrated by the surprise phone call. The injected nausea medicine could wear off by Friday so we'll see what happens in the next few days but maybe we'll still make it to Tony's though I may have to downgrade my menu choice. Fatigue could begin to present itself next Monday or Tuesday but that's what lead me to get checked out in the first place so hopefully I can manage it as I have been doing over the last few months. My chestful of surgical incisions has finally healed which makes a big difference in my general feeling of healthiness. I can finally hold my shoulders up and sleep in any position I want. That's all for now. Hopefully my next post will not be about how the chemotherapy side effects have come crashing down on me but stay tuned for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment