Thursday, September 1, 2011

Life's Too Short - Get a Tattoo

The last week or so has been the best for a very long while. I have felt so much better physically and it has also been a boost to get back to work. Today was a reminder that things are not quite finished. I went to see the radiology oncologist to find out more of the plan for radiation therapy. I talked with the nurse and then the doctor about side effects and long-term concerns. It was much of the same as we talked about back in April. Then they took me to the "Simulation Room."

Essentially they did a dry run of the treatment. They scanned me with a CT machine that had an infrared camera as well to make it a 4D scan. They used the camera to monitor the rise and fall of my chest from breathing. It was all very high tech. The walls and ceiling had laser shining out from them. They used a memory foam device to hold my arms above my head and then took a picture of it so we remember how I held my arms. After the doctor looked at the scan, they made some permanent markings on me so they can line me up the same way each time. So basically I got 3 tattoos, though they are minuscule dots. They put ink over my skin and then poked me with a needle. I have a spot on my breastbone and under each arm. The whole process is very technical and precise which allows them to use less radiation. The doctor will consult with a physicist (basically an applied mathematician) and plan the treatment in detail. I will then go for 17 consecutive business days for the course of treatment.

I don't have an exact start date yet but expect it to be the week of the 12th sometime. Each treatment should take about 20 minutes from walking in and out of the door. And luckily the clinic is only 5 minutes from home. The main side effects will be an inflamed esophagus and fatigue. I don't think it will be as bad as chemo was to deal with. I'll keep you posted but for now I am just enjoying feeling great!

No comments:

Post a Comment