Monday, September 26, 2011

Downhill or Uphill?

I am happy to report that I have now finished 10 of my 17 radiation treatments, a bit over halfway in case you need help with fractions. So in that respect you might think I am on the downhill slope now. However, the side effects are now starting to ramp up and are expected to last at least a week after my last treatment. In that sense I have an uphill stretch ahead of me.

Towards the end of last week I could tell my esophagus was beginning to feel the effects of radiation. It hasn't been painful yet but when I swallow it feels like something is stuck. The doctor said this was the first sign of fun things to come. So maybe he didn't use the word fun but he told me I could start taking ibuprofen to help with the inflammation. He also prescribed another type of mouthwash in case the type I already have doesn't work for me. The mouthwash I got during chemotherapy has lidocaine in it to numb things up before eating. This new prescription has hydrocortisone and tetracycline in it instead. Both mouthwashes have common ingredients of maalox, nystatin, and benadryl. Not sure why you need to know that but if you're interested feel free to do the research online yourself. After all, this is about me and how I am feeling.

Sunday afternoon I started to feel like I was getting sick with a normal sore throat but I haven't noticed any other symptoms with sinus issues or fever so the doctor thinks it could all be due to radiation. We'll see but I had a student come make up a test Friday in my office and she wasn't better yet - she kept hacking away, spreading germs in the air I am sure. I any case I have been very tired the last few days and suspect it is the fatigue that I was told to expect. I face this all with optimism because I know that in about 3 weeks I will be in the clear. Luckily this is not as bad as chemotherapy and I have been spared the nausea they said was possible. I'll keep you posted but we're getting closer to the end.

1 comment:

  1. You are always in our prayers. We are really looking forward to next year when all this will be finished and you'll be feeling great!

    Hugs,
    Steve and Nina Black

    ReplyDelete